Bell ringing at Albury

Albury has a ring of six bells, details below. We meet on Monday evening for practice between 7.30 p.m. and 9.00 p.m.

Visitors are always welcome. If you would like to learn to ring, then come and visit us and see what is involved.

Details of the bells
Bell Weight Diameter Key Inscription
Treble 5cwt 10lb 2'5" D Thomas Mears Founder London 1841
Two 5cwt 1qtr 4lb 2'6" C William Eldridge made mee, 1695
Three 6cwt 3qtr 22lb 2'9" B flat William Eldridge made mee, 1695
Four 8cwt 1qtr 2lb 2'11" A William Eldridge made mee, 1695
This peal of six bells was recast in the year of Our Lord 1935
Philip Gray Rector C F Lloyd W Dyson
Fear God and Honour the King
Five 10cwt 2qtr 27lb 3'3" G Thomas Mears Founder London 1841
Tenor 16cwt 10lb 3'8" F T.H. and W.C., William Eldridge made mee, 1695

Notes on the Albury bells

by Philip Gray, Rector of Albury 1935
The peal consists of six bells. The five larger bells were removed from the Old Parish Church in Albury Park in 1841. They were rehung in the original oak frame which was also removed from the Old Church, and fitted into the tower of the present church. No. 5 bell was then recast, and a new treble bell was cast by Thomas Mears, London, in the same year, i.e. 1841.

Bells 2, 3, 4, and the Tenor were cast by William Eldridge. Bells 2, 3, 4, bear the inscription "William Eldridge made mee, 1695." 6 carries this inscription "T.H. and W.C., William Eldridge made mee, 1695."

The oak bell frame was never a good fit in the new tower, and in recent years, when the bells were rung, the vibration set up became a menace to the fabric of the tower. The head stocks and fittings of the bells were decayed and rusted, and the bells became practically unringable, and thoroughly unsafe. Three of the bells were also cracked. The bells are now hung with the most up-to-date fittings, including totally enclosed ball-bearings, which only require lubrication once in every twelve years. The oak framework has been replaced by a strong and massive cast-iron framework, carried on a foundation consisting of two sets of heavy rolled steel girders, the whole structure being thoroughly braced and tied together.

The weight of the tenor bell is approximately 15 cwt. 1qr. and the peal is in the key of F natural.

The clock and chimes

In addition to the actual work on the bells and the bell frame, the clock chime barrel has been re-pivoted, two new clock hammers have been added, and the clock now strikes the Cambridge chimes.

The whole of the bell-work has been carried out by Messrs. John Taylor and Co., Loughborough, for the sum of £420. A further sum of £30 was required for the alterations to the clock chimes, and the re-decorating of the ringing room, and the Faculty, making in all a total of £450.

In a letter addressed to the Rector of Albury, Messrs. John Taylor and Co. say "We consider the tenor bell is one of the finest we have turned out for its weight."


The raising of so large a sum is a heavy undertaking, but the Parish has responded spendidly to the very generous lead which was given by Mr. R. Malthus and his family, and Mr. C. F. Lloyd,and the result is a very beautiful peal of bells, now hung in the tower of Albury Church, dedicated this 23rd day of March, 1935, to the Glory of God, in the Jubilee Year of His Majesty King George V., which is hoped will serve not only the present generation, but many generations still to come.